November 29, 2019

Zoom on... the restoration of the stained glass windows of Les Franciscaines Chapel

Les vitraux de la chapelle - inscrits à l’inventaire général du patrimoine - viennent d’être restaurés et reposés.

They give a powerful light in this place where the shows will be played. The damaged glasses have been repaired and all the compositions have been carefully cleaned. With a life span of about 100 years, the lead frames have been renewed. The stained glass windows were made around 1890 and offered to the congregation by an anonymous benefactor. They were all made in the workshop of the Duhamel-Marette painters and glassmakers of Evreux. Their iconography is based on episodes from the life of Saint Francis of Assisi, whose rules are respected by the Franciscan sisters. The monumental stained glass window, previously installed in the choir of the chapel and representing Saint Francis of Assisi marrying Lady Poverty, was returned to the Franciscan sisters and installed in the chapel of their new establishment next to the convent.

When the Franciscans open in June 2020, a light show will enhance these glass pieces so that they can be easily contemplated.

All about it

about the project

of Les Franciscaines

Contact us :
+33 (0)2 31 14 40 00

Our tourist information offices :

Residence de l'Horloge
Quai de l'Impératrice Eugénie
14800 Deauville
See the opening hours

Place Jean Mermoz
14640 Villers-sur-Mer
See the opening hours

32 bis avenue Michel d'Ornano
14910 Blonville-sur-Mer
See the opening hours

40 rue du General Leclerc
14113 Villerville
See the opening hours

20 Place Lemercier
14800 Touques
See the opening hours

Promenade Louis Delamare
(behind the first aid station)
14800 Tourgéville
See the opening hours