Visit of Villerville - Notre-Dame de l'Asomption Church

Church Street


Built after the Castle, the first church of Villerville dates from the 12th century, of which the massive bell tower, the roof in batière (roof with 2 inclined sides); and the choir of the building, in pure Romanesque style, remain today. This first building was enlarged in 1871 with two new chapels and the sacristy. Further enlargement work took place in 1900, giving it its present particular and unique shape.
The church houses beautiful statues from the 15th and 19th centuries and a wooden statue of the local patron saint, Saint Roch, who, according to legend, healed the plague patients, a particularly virulent disease at the time, before contracting the disease himself, which is why he is regularly represented with his dog licking his wounds.
It also houses the relics of the local martyr Thomas Jean Montsaint, a priest martyred on September 2, 1792 at the abbey of Saint Germain des Prés, for having refused to take an oath to the Republic (which meant no longer recognizing the authority of the pope) during the Terror. In recognition of his courage and faith, he was beatified by Pius XI in 1926. A commemorative plaque in the bell tower of the church recalls his sacrifice and the first part of "bout du haut" was named after him.

The church of Villerville has also known its hour of musical glory. Gabriel Fauré composed the "Messe des Pêcheurs de Villerville" (Mass of the Fishermen of Villerville) which was performed in the church for the first time, without an instrument, in September 1881, then a second time in September 1882.

eglisevillerville Mr. Le Guillard

See also


Contact us:
+33 (0)2 31 14 40 00

Our tourist information offices :

Résidence de l'Horloge
Quai de l'Impératrice Eugénie
14800 Deauville
See opening hours

Place Jean Mermoz
14640 Villers-sur-Mer
See opening hours

32 bis avenue Michel d'Ornano
14910 Blonville-sur-Mer
See opening hours

40 rue du Général Leclerc
14113 Villerville
See opening hours

20 Place Lemercier
14800 Touques
See opening hours

Promenade Louis Delamare
(behind the first-aid post)
14800 Tourgéville
See opening hours