Visit of Villerville - Notre-Dame de l'Asomption church

Church Street


Built after the Castle, the first church in Villerville dates from the 2th century, of which today the massive bell tower, the slatted roof (sloped roof) still exist; and the building choir, in pure Romanesque style. This first building was enlarged in 1871 with two new chapels and the sacristy. New enlargement works occurred in 1900, giving it its particular and unique current form.
The church houses beautiful statues from the XNUMXth and XNUMXth centuries and a wooden statue of the local Patron Saint Saint-Roch, who, according to legend, treated patients suffering from the plague, a particularly virulent disease at the time, before contracting him. - even this disease, this is why we see him regularly represented with his dog licking his wounds.
It also houses the relics of the local martyr Thomas Jean Montsaint, priest martyr executed on September 2, 1792 at the Abbey of Saint Germain des Prés, for having, during the Terror, refused to take the oath to the Republic (which meant no longer recognizing the authority of the pope). To salute his courage and his faith, he was beatified by Pius XI in 1926. A commemorative plaque sealed in the bell tower of the church recalls his sacrifice and his name was attributed to the first part of "bout du haut".

The church of Villerville also experienced its hour of musical glory. Indeed Gabriel Fauré composed the "Mass of Fishermen of Villerville" which will be performed in the church a first time, without instrument in September 1, then a second time in September 1881.

churchvillerville Mr. Le Guillard

See as well


Contact us:
+33 (0)2 31 14 40 00

Our tourist information offices:

Residence of the Clock
Empress Eugenie wharf
14800 Deauville
See opening hours

Place Jean-Mermoz
14640 Villers-sur-Mer
See opening hours

32 bis avenue Michel d'Ornano
14910 Blonville-sur-Mer
See opening hours

40 rue du Général Leclerc
14113 Villerville
See opening hours

20 Place Lemercier
14800 Toques
See opening hours

Louis Delamare Promenade
(behind the aid station)
14800 Tourgeville
See opening hours