6500M2 OFHISTORY IN DEAUVILLE
Les Franciscaines Sisters' site is located in Deauville, 5 minutes from the sea and 10 minutes from the Place de la Mairie de Deauville by foot, on the Avenue de la République. Since its construction in 1876, it has fulfilled multiple missions: orphanage, school, hospital, and home to Les Franciscaines Sisters' congregation. In 2012, they chose to sell these buildings to the City of Deauville so that it could establish a place of life and transmission. They now live nearby.

Saint Joseph Orphanage - South Side® A. Basley
Crib and Children - FranciscansYves Aublet
Franciscan SistersFrançois Louchet

Les Franciscaines are rooted in a site that is part of the memory of the people of Deauville. In the past, this place was dedicated to welcoming and educating people. Today, through its cultural project, it pursues its missions of mediation and transmission. This is the City's choice: to reinvest the heritage complex with a new life rather than build a new facility. 

The place is organized around the Saint-Joseph building (1876) originally composed of classrooms and dormitories on the second floor.
To the right of the Saint-Joseph building are the conventual spaces reserved for the life of Les Franciscaines sisters: a chapel, a square garden surrounded by a cloister and common rooms (refectory, kitchen, library...). On the first floor, the rooms of the sisters where the universes are installed today.
On the left of the Saint Joseph building, a wing in return of angle, forming a square court at the back, now room of the temporary exhibitions.

François Louchet

Reception and transmission

1875 > 1881
 
Three sisters from the Somme region and from a pious family, ADELE, JOSEPHINE AND MARIE-ANTOINETTE MERIGAULT decided to invest in charitable works by founding a hospital for sailors and helping the children of sailors who had disappeared at sea. Unable to find the necessary land in Trouville - where they lived until the death of their father, a customs officer - they opted in 1875 for Deauville, which at the time had a lot of free land on either side of the church.
They built the first building - the Saint Joseph building - and then transformed their project into an orphanage for the daughters of sailors.
After several refusals from religious communities to take care of the children, Les Franciscaines nuns of Notre-Dame de Pitié of Perrou (Orne) accepted the proposal. Four sisters arrived in Deauville on June 29, 1878 with little money. In 1881, they founded the COMMUNITY OF FRANCISCAINS OF OUR LADY OF PITY in Deauville.
The community took care of orphans, provided care for the sick and received donations.
New buildings were constructed in 1883 and 1897 with the help of the Biesta-Monrival family.
 
 
1914 > 1919
 
In 1914, the orphanage was transformed into an auxiliary hospital. The Red Cross and donations completed the equipment. After having treated more than a thousand wounded, it closed on January 1, 1919 and returned to its function as an orphanage. With the surplus medical equipment belonging to the Red Cross, the local committee decided to found a dispensary.

 

 

 

YEARS 30

At the beginning of the 30s, the construction of the SAINT FRANCOIS CLINIC was decided. This work was entrusted to the Caen architect PICHEREAU, to whom we owe the construction of the Villa Strassburger. A SCHOOL FOR CHILDREN was founded in 1938 for young girls from the area.
 

1954

After the war, the Sisters decided to strengthen the professional education in the social and health sectors. A building was constructed for this purpose in 1954.
 

70'S

In 1971, the SAINT-JOSEPH PROFESSIONAL HIGH SCHOOL became a private high school under contract with the State. Today, the establishment includes a high school and a college. The clinic was replaced by the polyclinic in 1973. It was then transformed into a rehabilitation center. An extension was built in 1977 including a swimming pool, adapted showers, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services. At the same time, the orphanage received less and less children of sailors who had been lost at sea. We now welcome children who have been disturbed by the separation from their parents.
 

2009

Les Franciscaines Sisters decided to reorganize their activities in more suitable and functional premises and to build a new convent, a vocational high school and a school for nurses. They dedicate the land near the polyclinic to the construction of a real estate program consisting of 52 rental units: La Villa Gabrielle. Finally, they propose to the City of Deauville to purchase three buildings with a surface area of 4,400m² on the condition that they preserve the spirit of the place, marked by transmission, education and sharing. The financial conditions of the sale put back on the agenda the project of a place of culture for the City, abandoned in 2009 in an economic crisis context.

Close

Contact us:
+33 (0)2 31 14 40 00
info@indeauville.fr


Our tourist information offices :

DEAUVILLE TOURISM
Résidence de l'Horloge
Quai de l'Impératrice Eugénie
14800 Deauville
See opening hours

VILLERS-SUR-MER TOURISM
Place Jean Mermoz
14640 Villers-sur-Mer
See opening hours

BLONVILLE-SUR-MER TOURISM
32 bis avenue Michel d'Ornano
14910 Blonville-sur-Mer
See opening hours

VILLERVILLE TOURISM
40 rue du Général Leclerc
14113 Villerville
See opening hours

TOUQUES TOURISM
20 Place Lemercier
14800 Touques
See opening hours

TOURGÉVILLE TOURISM
Promenade Louis Delamare
(behind the first-aid post)
14800 Tourgéville
See opening hours