French Dutch English German Spanish

Tourgéville Military Cemetery

Military cemetery path


The Tourgéville military cemetery is the property of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, which maintains it. Created in 1918, it was built in 1920. Its perpetual concession by France to the United Kingdom was provided for by law of December 29, 1915 (implementing decree November 25, 1920) so that the latter could have the fallen soldiers buried there. on French soil, in particular the soldiers who died in hospitals of the British army installed in Trouville-Deauville: from June 1917 of an "English" health camp on Mont-Canisy, then from October 1917 a 14th convalescent camp in Trouville-sur-mer and at the same time a fleet of trawlers in Deauville. It became important following the establishment, in February 1918, of the hospital sector of Trouville-sur-mer which later included the 72nd, 73rd, 74th general hospitals, and the 13th, 14th and 15th convalescent camps.
At the end of the First World War, 293 graves of soldiers who died in camp were lined up there, either from their wounds or for more than a third of the Spanish flu: 209 graves of Commonwealth soldiers, 24 graves of soldiers American (recorded in 1932), 57 German graves (prisoners) and 3 civil graves.
Today, the cemetery brings together graves from the last two World Wars, friendly or enemy combatants, for a total of 315 graves: 209 graves of Commonwealth soldiers including 19 sailors, soldiers and airmen, 8 soldiers from Australia, 8 from Canada, 1 from New Zealand, 13 graves of Allied soldiers from World War II, 90 German prisoners, and 3 civilians (a nurse and two civilians from the United Kingdom).
It remains a calm, peaceful and well maintained place. Some stelae have a rounded or pointed end in order to differentiate the British and German tombs: soldiers from both camps in the same cemetery, a beautiful gesture of peace and a place of history not to forget ...

The cemetery is freely accessible every day, all year round.