Item Title: 
1875 > 1881
Item Text: 

1875 > 1881

Item Image: 
Open Item Text: 

Three sisters from the Somme and from a pious family, ADELE, JOSEPHINE AND MARIE-ANTOINETTE MERIGAULT decided to invest in charitable works by founding a hospital for sailors and helping the children of sailors lost at sea. Unable to find the necessary land in Trouville - where they lived until the death of their father, a customs officer - they decided in 1875 to move to Deauville, which at that time had a lot of free land on both sides of the church.

They built the first building - the Saint Joseph building - and then transformed their project into an orphanage for the daughters of sailors.
After several refusals from religious communities to take care of the children, Les Franciscaines nuns of Notre-Dame de Pitié of Perrou (Orne) accepted the proposal. Four sisters arrived in Deauville on June 29, 1878 with little money. In 1881, they founded the COMMUNITY OF FRANCISCAINS OF OUR LADY OF PITY in Deauville.

The community took care of orphans, provided care for the sick and received donations. New buildings were constructed in 1883 and 1897 with the help of the Biesta-Monrival family.

Crédit photo 2: 
City of Deauville
Crédit photo 1: 
©DR
credit photo timeline 2: 
City of Deauville
Close

Contact us:
+33 (0)2 31 14 40 00
info@indeauville.fr


Our tourist information offices :

DEAUVILLE TOURISM
Résidence de l'Horloge
Quai de l'Impératrice Eugénie
14800 Deauville
See opening hours

VILLERS-SUR-MER TOURISM
Place Jean Mermoz
14640 Villers-sur-Mer
See opening hours

BLONVILLE-SUR-MER TOURISM
32 bis avenue Michel d'Ornano
14910 Blonville-sur-Mer
See opening hours

VILLERVILLE TOURISM
40 rue du Général Leclerc
14113 Villerville
See opening hours

TOUQUES TOURISM
20 Place Lemercier
14800 Touques
See opening hours

TOURGÉVILLE TOURISM
Promenade Louis Delamare
(behind the first-aid post)
14800 Tourgéville
See opening hours