French Dutch English German Spanish

Palaces, mythical addresses

At the start of the XNUMXth century, Désiré le Hoc, Mayor of Deauville, wanted to breathe new life into the seaside resort. With the help of Eugène Cornuché, famous owner of the Parisian restaurant "Maxim's" and director of the Trouville-sur-Mer casino, they built the casino and the prestigious Normandy and Royal hotels on the seafront. This type of building then experienced a remarkable boom on the Côte d'Azur, they flattered a wealthy clientele seduced by the luxury and modernity of the facilities and the diversity of the services offered. From then on, Deauville imposed itself as the resort to be in. The whole of Paris, personalities from the world of arts, letters, politics, the press and sport, arrive in Deauville on vacation: Churchill, King Alfonso XIII of Spain, the Prince of Wales, André Citroën, Françoise Sagan…

Hotel Barrière Le Normandy Deauville *****

Begun in 1910, the construction of the Normandy hotel, the plans for which were drawn by the architect Théo Petit, was completed for the summer season of 1912. In 1925, the acquisition of land allowed its extension to the north.
The Normandy hotel is established according to an H plan allowing the development of interior courtyards. The facades display a Norman style (checkerboard composition and wood panel). The picturesque nature of the building is reinforced by a main courtyard, called the "Norman courtyard", made up of pieces of grass planted with apple trees. It is closed by a barrier on rue Gontaut-Biron by shops, including the one occupied by Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel from 1913.
The rustic exterior is opposed to the modernity, refinement and comfort of the interior fittings. The vast entrance hall, crowned by an elliptical ceiling supported by twin columns (of the same diameter and grouped in pairs), is extended by a second hall of more modest size, adorned with Louis XVI style woodwork. It serves the bar, the main staircase and the "La Belle Epoque" restaurant, opening onto the Norman courtyard. The rooms are spread over five levels, served on each floor by a central corridor. All have an anteroom and a toilet with bathroom, thus responding to the hygienic concerns of the early twentieth century.
DEAUVILLE

Hotel Barrière Le Normandy Deauville

5 étoiles
38 rue Jean Mermoz
14804 DEAUVILLE
France
09 70 82 13 14

"Le Normandy? It's an Anglo-Norman cottage atmosphere with Norman gables and linen sheets, apple trees and Norman cows in its garden"

Théo Petit, architect

In November 2015, Le Normandy closed for the first time since its inauguration in 1912. A six-month break for a complete makeover. Entirely emptied, the craftsmen are busy restoring the mythical hotel to its splendor while keeping its soul.
Responsible for the decoration of the rooms and suites, interior designer Nathalie Ryan was keen to preserve what makes the history and memory of the walls: the toile de Jouy, emblematic of the place. The fabric is embellished and refreshed, comes in harmonious colors according to the rooms (green, beige, orange, blue and red) and is spiced up with a few contemporary touches with light weaves, united or structured that adorn the furniture created especially by the decorating architect.
The interior designer Alexandre Danan has returned to the restaurant "
The Belle Epoque "its former splendor while sprinkling the place with current touches, combining design, a sense of volume and play of colors and materials. The large glass roof has been further enhanced, furniture and elegant wooden armchairs of the Epoque contribute to the comfort and clarity of the space.On the ground, an immense custom-made mosaic takes up the codes and colors of the new Barrière against a backdrop of Naïade Belle Epoque.

Hotel Barrière Le Royal Deauville *****

The success of the 1912 summer season prompted the Société des Hôtels et Casino de Deauville to provide the resort with a second palace. Eugène Cornuché acquired from the Baroness d'Erlanger the Villa La Louisiane, built in 1861 for the Duke of Morny, founder of Deauville, to build the Hôtel Royal instead. The building, built according to the plans of the architects Théo Petit and Georges Wybo, was inaugurated in July 1913.
Established according to a U-shaped plan, the reinforced concrete hotel comprises seven levels and draws up its monumental facade, animated by an axial front section and two lateral front sections, facing the sea. The rigor of the elevation is mitigated by the variety of facings (checkerboard and wood panel), protruding elements (columns, balconies, loggias) and openings (rectangular, arches supporting a semi-circular or lowered vault, etc.).
The crossing entrance hall connects the entrance courtyard to the sea side. It is animated by arched arcades, accentuated by twin pilasters (of the same diameter and grouped in pairs) and piers (partitions between two bays) adorned with foliage wrapped around a stick. It distributes the bar and the dining room decorated in Empire style and open to the sea. The entrance on the courtyard side, punctuated by columns, gives access to the main staircase and two side galleries, inspired by the Galerie des ice cream at Versailles. The bedrooms, all with bathrooms, are distributed by a large central corridor. All the rooms have Directoire style furniture.
DEAUVILLE

Hotel Barrière Le Royal Deauville

5 étoiles
Boulevard Cornuché
14804 DEAUVILLE
France
09 70 80 95 55

The Hotel Barrière Hotel du Golf Deauville ****

When Eugène Cornuché died in 1927, the management of the Société des Hôtels et Casino de Deauville was entrusted to his friend and associate François André, who undertook the construction of the Hôtel du Golf the following year. François André spotted abandoned land on the heights of Mont-Canisy, offering a breathtaking view of the bay of the Seine and the surrounding countryside. The automobile car, then in full swing, authorized its construction outside the seaside resort. The Art Deco style hotel was built in eight months and was inaugurated in 1929. Surrounded by a vast 70-hectare park, an 18 and 9-hole golf course, designed by the British architect Tom Simpson, is located there. .
Work of the architects Georges Wybo, who already built the casino, and Eugène Lecompte, the modernity of this hotel is expressed by the simplicity of the volumetry and by the use of concrete. However, the checkerboard facing of the ground floor, the false wooden panel with refined patterns on the upper parts and the flat tile evoke the Norman style. The facades are animated on the golf course by an axial rotunda and the main entrance by a peristyle (gallery of columns).
When François André died in 1962, his nephew Lucien Barrière took over as head of the Group. He launched a major modernization and restoration project for the hotel and extended the golf course. A second 9-hole course is developed by the former British golf champion Henri Cotton in 1964. The establishment was again profoundly changed in 1997, then in 2013. Its last dressing is by Chantal Peyrat. The interior designer was inspired by the history of the building and its Norman roots, with giant sculptures of apples and horses, combined with Chesterfield furniture and Scottish tartans. Murals and portraits of illustrious guests recall the history of the place.
SAINT-ARNOULT

Hôtel Barriere L'Hôtel du Golf Deauville

4 étoiles
Mont Canisy
14800 SAINT-ARNOULT
France
09 70 82 03 33
A hotel built on a legend

ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BRIDGE ...

Cures Marines Trouville Hotel Thalasso & Spa *****

The hotel in Find is backing onto the casino. Formerly the building already hosted "hot baths", the first terms of use to evoke thalassotherapy.
The first casino, inaugurated on the beach in 1838, quickly became too small, the municipality decided in 1864 to build a larger casino on the place it had just acquired (current place of the building). Finally, the colonial-style municipal casino, built according to the plans of the architect Alphonse Durville, opens for the summer season of 1912. These two main accesses house a flight of steps, protected by a large marquee on the town side and by a peristyle ( gallery of columns) beach side. The facades are punctuated by the alternation of pilasters and bays, depending on the level, and are brought to life on the first floor by balconies resting on stylish consoles and decorated with balusters.
In 1927, the casino was redesigned under the direction of architect Georges Wybo with two large games rooms, as well as a central porch on the sea front. Abandoned for the benefit of the Deauville casino, these spaces were finally transformed into a municipal museum until 'in 1956, then in a marine spa for twenty years. The building was renovated in 1992 for the part operated as a casino by the Barrière group. The other part remained unoccupied until 2015. The Cures Marines were then reborn after two years of work to become a 5-star hotel, the work of interior architect and designer Jean-Philippe Nuel, including a bar, a restaurant , a thalassotherapy center and a spa.
 

 

Cures Marines Trouville, Hotel, Thalasso & Spa

Thalassa Sea & Spa
Boulevard Cahotte
14360 TROUVILLE-SUR-MER
France
02 31 14 26 00

My travel book