French Dutch English German Spanish

The Reformed Temple

118 ter avenue of the Republic


Erected on the initiative of the Deauville Real Estate Corporation, the reformed temple was inaugurated on July 20, 1865. It is composed of a single nave with five spans, preceded by a gable tower porch crowned with a campanile. Inspired by the temple of Beuzeval (Calvados) built in 1862, the building, with multiple architectural quotes, is the work of Desle-François Breney and Anatole Jal. The celebration of worship brings together the Reformed community established in Deauville and Trouville, as well as some vacationers during the bathing season. The act of July 10, 1866, which formalized the alienation of the building from the municipality, forced the faithful to maintain it, but the insufficiency of subsidies led to its gradual deterioration.

Abandoned in 1896, it was converted into a village hall by the architect Alexandre Buchard in 1898.
In 1921, it was enlarged by two side wings (kitchen and refreshment bar on the left; cloakroom on the right) according to plans drawn up by Georges Madeline. The bell tower, threatening to collapse, was removed in 1937 by the Delarue brothers, architects. In order to register the building in its function, the municipality called in 1950 to the architect Marcel Germain. He then designed the veneer, on the old structure, of a neo-classical style concrete facade opening onto an entrance hall from which two lateral concrete staircases run by the Findac company Dansac.

Since the beginning of the XNUMXth century, Reformed worship has been practiced in a building located on avenue de la République.

Texts © Heritage Images

Party hall2 DR