Item Title: 
1875 > 1881
Item Text: 

1875 > 1881

Item Image: 
Open Item Text: 

Three nuns coming from Somme and from a devout family, ADELE, JOSEPHINE AND MARIE-ANTOINETTE MERIGAULT decided to be engaged in charity, establishing a hospital for sailors and helping sons of sailors lost at sea. As they couldn’t find an adequate property in Trouville – where they lived until their father, a custom official, died –they decided to move to Deauville in 1875, where there were many available lands on both sides of the church.

They built a first building – Saint Joseph building – and later transformed their project into an orphanage welcoming the daughters of sailors.
After suffering several refusals by religious communities invited to join them to take care of children, the Franciscan nuns of Notre-Dame de Pitié de Perrou (Orne) welcomed their proposition. Four Sisters reached Deauville on the 29th of June 1878, with few resources, and in 1881 founded the COMMUNAUTE DES FRANCISCAINES DE NOTRE-DAME DE LA PITIE DE DEAUVILLE.

The community looked after orphans, provided care to sufferers and received donations. New buildings were built in 1883 and in 1897, mainly with the support of the Biesta-Monrival family.

Crédit photo 2: 
Ville de Deauville
Crédit photo 1: 
credit photo timeline 2: 
Ville de Deauville