French Dutch English German Spanish
Sunday July 18 | BLONVILLE-SUR-MER
Church of Our Lady of the Visitation

Visit to the Church of Our Lady of the Visitation

Schedules

15:00 - 18:00

Convenient

Free

02-31

Send an email

Tourist Information Office
Next dates

Every Sunday between July 18 and August 15, the Notre-Dame de la Visitation association offers guided tours of the church.

The church of Blonville - Terre, Notre-Dame de la Visitation (XNUMXth century), already has a long history of almost a thousand years behind it! There is indeed a part of the XNUMXth century bell tower. Its history is inseparable from that of Blonville-sur-Mer. The place where the church is built may seem today incomprehensible, with the development since the end of the XIXth of Blonville-sur-Mer on the coast but during the past centuries, the population of Blonville was essentially rural and the coastal edge their seemed inhospitable. Especially with the marsh which was much more extensive than at present.

In 1859, the archaeologist Arcisse de Caumont delivers a precise description of the current church. It is oriented East-West, as for all churches. What appears to be the oldest are the bases of the bell tower and the Choir, dating from the XNUMXth and XNUMXth centuries. Undoubtedly the primitive building occupied the Choir and the current bell-tower. This modest ensemble was completed from the end of the XNUMXth century by a large nave. This expansion took place after the end of the Hundred Years War during which Normandy had suffered terribly from the presence of English and French troops and their mercenaries. The end of the XNUMXth century, which corresponds to the Renaissance, saw a remarkable demographic development supported by an increase in resources, mainly agricultural, and wealth. Constructions of this type are then again possible.

Church of Our Lady of the Visitation Beaumont Road