French Dutch English German Spanish
Saturday September 18 | DEAUVILLE
Saint-Augustin Church car park

Flaubert day in the Pays d'Auge

Schedules

10:00

Convenient

Free (except bus ride)

Circuit and literary walk in three stages, designed by Les Dominicaines, museum and art library of Pont-l'Evêque, the Villa Montebello Museum, the Library of Trouville-sur-mer and Les Franciscaines de Deauville as part of the heritage days.

The Pays d'Auge is Gustave Flaubert's other Norman territory. It is in Pont-l'Evêque, where his mother and grandmother were born, that "Un Coeur simple" is located. From 1834 to 1844, Gustave Flaubert frequented Trouville-sur-mer for ten back seasons. It was there that he lived his first great love affair with Elisa Schlesinger, whom he met in 1836. His father, Achille, owned the Coteau farm in Deauville, which he owned from 1872 to 1875.
This literary walk, commented and punctuated by readings, goes through the places lived or evoked in the work of Gustave Flaubert.

PROGRAM
10 am - Departure by bus from the parking lot of the Saint-Augustin church in Deauville.

10:30 am - Arrival in Pont-l'Evêque (parking lot of the old prison).
Discovery of the places of "Un Coeur Simple".
In 1876, Gustave Flaubert finished writing "Un Coeur simple". From the first lines of the tale, the setting is given: Pont-l'Evêque.
With an emerging family background, Gustave Flaubert plunges us into his childhood memories from which emerges, with emotion, the faithful servant, Félicité.
Readings of three extracts from "Un Coeur Simple" by actor Nicolas Ragu at the Dominican washhouse, in the Saint-Michel Church and in the gardens of Brilly where a Patrimonial plaque will also be unveiled.

12:30 p.m. - Free lunch.

14 p.m. - Departure for Trouville-sur-Mer direction the Villa Montebello Museum for the reading of "Mémoires d'un fou".

15 p.m. - departure for Les Planches de Trouville for a reading of fragments of the correspondence between Gustave Flaubert and Elisa Schlesinger in three stages (15 minutes):
- the Hotel Flaubert first appropriation in the 30s of the name Flaubert by the city
- at the foot of the apartment occupied by Gustave Flaubert in 1853, above the pharmacy on the quay and the Flaubert plaque affixed during the 30s
- in front of the statue of Gustave Flaubert, inaugurated in 1954, on the quay opposite the town hall.

16 p.m. - departure for Deauville direction Villa Strassburger / ex Ferme du Coteau, property of Achille Flaubert bequeathed in 30 to Gustave Flaubert.
Presentation in showcases of letters from Gustave Flaubert acquired in 2019 by the City of Deauville, then conference "Gustave Flaubert en Pays d'Auge" by Yvan Leclerc, Chairman of the scientific and cultural committee Flaubert 21, professor emeritus of literature at the University of Rouen Normandie, member of the Flaubert Center of the CÉRÉdI laboratory (Center for Studies and Research to Edit / Interpret), President of the Friends of Flaubert and Maupassant.
At the end of the tasting conference of cider, cuvée Strassburger, from the apple trees of the former Ferme du Coteau.

The cultural services of Pont-l'Evêque, Trouville-sur-mer and Deauville are working on setting up a digital trail "In the footsteps of Gustave Flaubert in Pays d'Auge" where visitors with a mobile can activate a QR code free of charge and access selected comments and documents, in connection with the memorials or those which inspired Gustave Flaubert.

Saint-Augustin Church car park