French Dutch English German Spanish

St. Thomas Church


14800 TOUQUES

Namely

Listed as a historical monument since 1926, the church of Saint-Thomas de Touques has been enormously altered since its construction in the 21th century, and only retains the original one of its bell tower (1870 meters high), surmounted by a Neo-Gothic octagonal spire added after the repair of the bell tower in XNUMX.
The church has a Romanesque nave, transformed in the XNUMXth, XNUMXth and XNUMXth centuries, a Gothic choir entirely rebuilt during the Hundred Years War, and a Louis XIV-style portal. The choir houses an old opening intended for lepers of the sickness center of Saint-Marc so that they can listen to mass outside.
The church bears the name Saint Thomas in reference to Thomas Becket, archbishop of Canterburry after his visit to Touques. Thomas Becket was in the service of King Henry II Plantagenêt as Chancellor of England. Following his appointment as archbishop, he renounced his role as chancellor and publicly opposed the king. Thomas Becket was assassinated in his cathedral in 1170. He will be canonized in 1173 and the inhabitants of Touques will place their church under his protection. Inside the church, a stained glass window represents his assassination. We can also see "holes in the burrows" in the walls which were used to put scaffolding to allow repairs, a gigantic crucifix dating from the XNUMXth century, a statue of Saint Gilles (protector of children), a virgin and child.
Outside, under the roof, "Modillions" representing animal heads were used to hold the cornice.
The Saint-Thomas church is since the desecration of the Saint-Pierre church, the only place of worship of Touques.