Saint Martin's Church

The construction of the rural church of Vauville, dedicated to Saint-Martin, dates back to the 12th century, as evidenced by some remains of fishbone construction. The nave and the choir are well distinguished, with the later addition of the sacristy.
The nave is lit by openings of different styles, with stained glass windows of great simplicity. One of them preserves the coat of arms of the de Grente family. The ceiling of the nave is made of wood, covered with whitewash.
Two side altars decorated with polychrome statues are placed on each side of the triumphal arch. The one on the left is decorated with a Virgin and Child, the one on the right with a Sacred Heart of Jesus. On each side of the central aisle, closed benches. The triumphal arch is surprisingly thick, it supports the bell tower.
The choir is narrower than the nave. The chevet is flat. The altar is rectangular, the tabernacle is supported by four columns. Above, the painting of the altarpiece, dated from the end of the 17th century, beginning of the 18th century, represents a Descent from the Cross. On each side, a polychrome stone statue, representing on the left Saint-Martin as a bishop and on the right Saint-Marc.
The sacristy was added during the 19th century, leaning on the chevet.
The bell tower is surprising, with its belfry-like appearance. It is a rectangular block of stone, with a long baroque plan. Above, brackets support a set of beams, serving as a base for the bell room, topped by a pyramidal roof. A bell had been installed in 1744, by the lords of Vauville, the Boitard de Prémagny family, replaced by another one in 1821, called Bernardine Marie. Silent for several decades, it was restored in 2003.
In the cemetery, to the right of the church, several 19th century graves have been preserved.

The church is a place of worship, but is also used for exhibitions, cultural events...

Close

Contact us :
+33 (0)2 31 14 40 00
info@indeauville.fr


Our tourist information offices :

DEAUVILLE TOURISM
Residence de l'Horloge
Quai de l'Impératrice Eugénie
14800 Deauville
See the opening hours

VILLERS-SUR-MER TOURISM
Place Jean Mermoz
14640 Villers-sur-Mer
See the opening hours

BLONVILLE-SUR-MER TOURISM
32 bis avenue Michel d'Ornano
14910 Blonville-sur-Mer
See the opening hours

VILLERVILLE TOURISM
40 rue du General Leclerc
14113 Villerville
See the opening hours

TOUQUES TOURISM
20 Place Lemercier
14800 Touques
See the opening hours

TOURGÉVILLE TOURISM
Promenade Louis Delamare
(behind the first aid station)
14800 Tourgéville
See the opening hours