Tourgéville Military Cemetery

Chemin du cimetière militaire


The military cemetery of Tourgéville is owned and maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Created in 1918, it was laid out in 1920. Its perpetual concession by France to the United Kingdom was provided for by the law of December 29, 1915 (implementing decree of November 25, 1920) so that the latter could bury there the soldiers who had fallen on French soil, in particular the soldiers who had died in the British army hospitals installed in Trouville-Deauville: from June 1917 of an "English" Sanitary Camp on Mont-Canisy, then from October 1917 a 14th convalescent camp in Trouville-sur-mer and at the same time a fleet of trawlers in Deauville. It became important following the establishment, in February 1918, of the hospital sector of Trouville-sur-mer, which later included the 72nd, 73rd and 74th general hospitals, and the 13th, 14th and 15th convalescent camps.
At the end of the First World War, there were 293 graves of soldiers who died in the camp, either from their wounds, or for more than a third of them from the Spanish flu: 209 graves of Commonwealth soldiers, 24 graves of American soldiers (surveyed in 1932), 57 German graves (prisoners) and 3 civilian graves.
Today, the cemetery gathers graves of the last two World Wars, of friendly or enemy combatants, that is to say a total of 315 graves: 209 graves of Commonwealth soldiers including 19 sailors, soldiers and airmen, 8 soldiers from Australia, 8 from Canada, 1 from New Zealand, 13 graves of allied soldiers of the Second World War, 90 German prisoners, and 3 civilians (a nurse and two civilians from the United Kingdom).
It remains a quiet, peaceful and well maintained place. Some headstones have a rounded or pointed end to differentiate the British and German graves: soldiers from both sides in the same cemetery, a beautiful gesture of peace and a place of history to remember ...

The cemetery is open every day, all year round.


Contact us:
+33 (0)2 31 14 40 00

Our tourist information offices :

Résidence de l'Horloge
Quai de l'Impératrice Eugénie
14800 Deauville
See opening hours

Place Jean Mermoz
14640 Villers-sur-Mer
See opening hours

32 bis avenue Michel d'Ornano
14910 Blonville-sur-Mer
See opening hours

40 rue du Général Leclerc
14113 Villerville
See opening hours

20 Place Lemercier
14800 Touques
See opening hours

Promenade Louis Delamare
(behind the first-aid post)
14800 Tourgéville
See opening hours