Eglise Saint-Martin - Copie - Copie

Chemin du cimetière militaire
Mont-Canisy

14800 TOURGEVILLE

Prices

Created in 1918, the military cemetery of Tourgéville is owned by the commission of war graves of the Commonwealth, ensuring an extraordinary maintenance of this area. At the end of the war, France granted a permanent concession to this place and the British cemetery of Tourgeville was inaugurated in 1920*. At the beginning, it was destined to the burial of soldiers dead in the hospitals of the British Army established in Trouville-Deauville.
The creation of an “English” health service camp from June 1917 on the Mont Canisy, of the 14th convalescent camp in Trouville-sur-mer (October 1917) and the presence of a fleet of fishing boats in Deaville led to the set up of this cemetery. It has become important after the creation, in February 1918, of the hospital department of Trouville-sur-mer that also included the 72nd, 73rd, 74th general hospitals, and the 13th, 14th and 15th convalescent camps.
The military cemetery was set up in 1920. On that period, it aligned 293 graves of soldiers of the First World War that died on the field for their wounds or, more than a third of them, for the Spanish flu: 209 graves of soldiers of the Commonwealth, 24 graves of American soldiers (rebuilt in 1932), 57 German graves (prisoners) and 3 graves of civilians.
Nowadays the cemetery hosts the graves of the two latest wars of both allied and non-allied soldiers. It hosts 315 graves in total: 209 graves of the soldiers of the Commonwealth, including 19 sailors, soldiers and pilots, but also 8 soldiers from Australia, 8 from Canada, and one from New Zealand (WW1), 13 graves of allied soldiers of the Second World War, 90 German prisoners, and 3 civilians (a nurse and two British civilians).

The cemetery is a calm, pleasant and well-maintained place: there are no homes in the surroundings, but just a golf field. Observing the headstones from close, it is noticed that their top is curved or sharp to differentiate British graves from German graves. Enemies are placed in the same cemetery: it’s a nice gesture of peace in a historical place not to be missed...

The cemetery is accessible for free every day, all year round.

* The law of December 29, 1915 (implementing decree: November 25, 1920) established the permanent concession of this piece of land from France to the United Kingdom to bury the soldiers died on the French territory.