Admiralty

The commercial importance of the port of Touques, as early as the 12th century, justifies the setting up in 1331 of the headquarters of a particular administration: an Admiralty, located near the docks. Its facades and its roof were classified as Historic Monuments in 1967.
The staff is composed of a lieutenant, a prosecutor, a commissioner, two bailiffs, a dock master and a broker. They were responsible for guarding the coast, maintaining order on the docks, where disputes were numerous, imposing fines, controlling traffic and the loading of barges and collecting taxes. The Admiralty recruited, equipped and paid the guards placed in the watchtowers along the coast. The defense of the Touques estuary by the Captaincy N°17, established in Trouville, was very light: no battery, no store.
At the same time, it supervised the fishing and the fisheries established on the Touques. They are free of rights and are transmitted by inheritance. Following the decline in the economic activities of the port, it was abolished in 1786.

Close

Contact us:
+33 (0)2 31 14 40 00
info@indeauville.fr


Our tourist information offices :

DEAUVILLE TOURISM
Résidence de l'Horloge
Quai de l'Impératrice Eugénie
14800 Deauville
See opening hours

VILLERS-SUR-MER TOURISM
Place Jean Mermoz
14640 Villers-sur-Mer
See opening hours

BLONVILLE-SUR-MER TOURISM
32 bis avenue Michel d'Ornano
14910 Blonville-sur-Mer
See opening hours

VILLERVILLE TOURISM
40 rue du Général Leclerc
14113 Villerville
See opening hours

TOUQUES TOURISM
20 Place Lemercier
14800 Touques
See opening hours

TOURGÉVILLE TOURISM
Promenade Louis Delamare
(behind the first-aid post)
14800 Tourgéville
See opening hours